2017/05/19

DooM Fangame: Fun with redesign

So lately I've gotten back into designing the content for the DooM fangame (I will call it that until it is done, so I don't have to keep updating the title constantly).

I've been mostly drawing my version of the original monsters on paper, to get an idea of the feel they'll have.

The following are all to scale, I still have to decide the sprite resolution once I pixelize them.


As you can see, there's a mix of creature versions from different iterations of DooM, including both original and DooM 3's Pinky.
I'm pretty proud of how the Arachnotron came out, it is a mix of the original sprite plus that concept art for DooM 3 that floated around for a while.
As for the green guy, it's a wraith. The pens I use for inking do not offer much color range.


While the previous sheet had a bunch of monsters from all over the games, on this sheet I've focused on the creatures present in the original DooM shareware... Plus a couple "extras".
As you can see, I've decided to settle on the DooM 3 Pinky, just because it's more fun to draw.
On the left side there are the Doomie (Player) variants, with helmets based on DooM, DooM 64, DooM 3 and DOOM (4), I intend for players to select their colors, that's why they each have different coloring.
All available weapons are visible in this pic too (Fists, Pistol, Shotgun, Chaingun, Rocket Launcher and Chainsaw).
And yes, the Corpsie Soldiers have their classic green hair... Their very fabulous green hair.



The rest of the page. I want to add civilian Corpsies, mostly as cannon fodder. I also want to try and make Imps wall-crawl. As for that crouching Hell-Knight... I'm not sure if I like it.


I'm very happy with how the Cacodemons are looking. They are so happy. And it's weird how smug this guy looks when its mouth is closed. Cacodemons are not part of the shareware, and I might not add them at all, but I so love drawing them.

Next step, pixelizing!

Oh, and I'm working on the coding too, integrating LWJGL 3 and cleaning up some cumbersome old code.

No comments:

Post a Comment